Oral Cancer Screening
Dedicated to Your Complete Oral Health
The Napa dental office of Silverado Dental Care is not only dedicated to your smile, we’re also dedicated to your overall wellness. We take a holistic approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like any kind of cancer, oral cancer can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. YOU are the most important factor in the early diagnosis of oral cancer through routine screenings through our office.
Signs of Trouble
Silverado Dental Care and his Napa dental team has the skills and tools to ensure that early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to schedule your visit to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving the jaw or tongue
The Napa dental team of Silverado Dental Care is trained in a simple, quick screening that involves an examination of your oral cavity as a whole and not just your teeth to detect cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions. Besides a visual examination of your mouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities. If we find an area of concern, we may perform a simple test, such as a brush test, which collects cells from a suspicious lesion in the mouth to be sent to a laboratory for analysis. If this test comes back atypical or positive, we may recommend a biopsy.
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup here at the Napa dental office of Silverado Dental Care, there are many things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking sun protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask us to perform an oral exam. Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment.
"I could not be happier with Dr. Ringard and his staff. All aspects of every visit are always first rate."